- This event has passed.
Coaching Enhancement Workshop
October 21, 2017 - October 22, 2017$225
We are really excited to offer this two-day course that has been developed by Rick Wiebush and Tom Noffsinger to help other ACA and BCU instructors enhance and expand their range of coaching skills. It will be both theoretical and experiential, combining lecture, discussion and practice with various coaching strategies. One of the main themes will be “going beyond the structured curriculum”. That means (in part) infusing instruction with greater flexibility, more awareness of individual needs and group dynamics, capitalizing on what the environment is offering, and focusing as much on “coaching” as “instructing”.
Modules will include:
- Selecting the instruction and practice environment
- Breaking down multi-component skills and sequencing their application (scaffolding)
- Developing and managing effective practice sessions
- Observation and feedback skills
- Adjusting “the plan” based on an assessment of individuals and the environment
- Meeting people where they are and individualizing instruction, including taking learning styles
- Avoiding content overload
- Helping people make small, incremental improvements
- Using games as practice strategies
- Other topics of interest as identified by the group
This course will be open to current L2, L3 and L4 instructors/coaches. We will be staying as a group at a rental house in Onancock (cost of the house is not included, but figure about $55/night). We will conduct the sessions both on flat water on the Bay and bouncier water at Metompkin inlet. To the extent possible we would like to start around 7 PM on the Friday night. We will try to wrap up around 4 PM on Sunday.